The harness is more important then a glider for all except competition ambitious pilots. Lets summarize my impressions and experience after a full season of flying in Advance Lightness 2.
The materials and manufacturing is excellent. I was looking for any imperfections and I failed. Also, my feeling is that someone really thaught about every single detail. All things are in optimal place from trustful materials. Design is always subjective but for sure it is not offensive or ugly, maybe more color variations should be appreciated by some people.
I really like the underseat pocket to store my concertina/quickpack as I can put my glider directly to it before getting out of harness. Its size can handle even a sandals to it making summer trips enjoyable even to my feet.
What I like:
- It is very sensitive in thermals. I have never felt it says too little, except a dumpered gliders.
- It is very well packable, a total equipment in 80 l is possible to achieve with some compression, even with a helmet 😉
- Everything is in ideal position (like pockets, cockpit, rescue handle)
It is very comfortable, longest flight 6,5 hours and no problems with butt or back
It is very light, about 3 kg is excellent
- It is very durable, much more then it seems
The storage area is just enough for all my stuff
There is no protector on the back but it seems good and with a backpack in the pocket it definetely helps absorbing energy
Your mobility on ground is great with attached harness
- the rescue system is without a velcro and working perfectly (tested during SIV)
- It is very easily washable
- The cocoon is removable
- Drying of harness is very easy and it is possible to dry it in a single day, even the protector, tested during SIV.
- The rescue pocket is big enough to pack comfortably even not super extra light rescues. My have 1,5 kg and putting it to Delight was a challenge.
What can be improved:
- The cocoon was self opening often. Advance exchanged the original solution. Now it is fine but it takes more time to get out of the harness.
- Both lines to footplate broke after few months of usage. Advance exchanged them to new hopefully they will be more durable.
- Getting into cocoon is sometimes not possible without help of the hand, the cocoon is too far behind if you have gained speed. But it is good for throwing out excessive fluids.
- The carabiners can catch a glider line – I had this issue in negative spin during SIV caused falling 800 m before identified and solved.
- The rescue handle is attached to special Advance container. Changing the rescue therefore requires unpacking it from advance container and packing to original container, and vice versa.
- Groundhandling/flying in standing position can be painful for boys.
- I would prefer slightly bigger Advance backpack, I regret I did not ask when purchasing.
- The cockpit pocket has no hole to power instruments during flight.
- The velcro for small vario on the shoulder is too far behind/forward if you are between the sizes.
I had one rough landing at speed to the protector and only my ego suffered a visible damage. Two times I fell to the back when stalling the glider in about a one meter high altitude. I fell to a soft harness without any damage.
This is my first Advance harness and I would buy it again without any doubts! It is extremely light harness with it category’s limitations therefore it is not for everyone. But once you look for weight, packability and comfort, you should try it.
Many people say Advance harnesses are too expensive. If my money goes to people making a great product, I see it as a good investment. I would only appreciate M/L size.